The American Comedy Drama with many awards to its name, Atlanta returns for another, and this time, the final season this fall.
The brainchild and creation of the first African-American to win the Emmy, Atlanta makes light of the dark situation and uses surreal comedy as a way to humor the audience. Keep reading to know more about Atlanta Season 4.
Atlanta Season 4 Plot
After Season 3 where our 4 main characters, (all of them are black people,) return to Atlanta, it shows our protagonist Earn trying to redeem himself and get back in the good books of his ex-girlfriend, who’s also the mother of his daughter Lottie, Van and his parents plus his cousin/friend/rapper Paper Boi, who’s real name is Alfred Miles, and his other friend Darius.
In the pilot episode, Van and Earn are lost at Atlantic Station and notice to their horror that all their ex-partners are there. They finally spot an exit and leave with Kenya, one of Earn’s ex-girlfriends. They come out to the funeral of a rapper who led Al on a scavenger hunt after he discovered that there are hints in his composition.
They meet up with Darius who’s chased by a Scooter-driving White woman wanting to stab Darius, which has something to do with the Air Fryer. Darius gives the Air Fryer to Kenya when they discover that they’re still being chased by the same scooter.
In episode 2, Earn tells Al and Darius about why he takes therapy and that he stopped going to it. His therapist told him it was due to a breach of trust by a family member who sexually abused him in childhood and faced racial discrimination at the hands of his RA at Princeton and how he paid back the agent by ruining her dreams of writing books. When Al and Darius don’t find his payback funny, he decides that he may still need therapy.
Episode 3 is about Earn and how he wants D’Angelo but later discovers it is a group of people who contribute to increase the fame of one person and Earn doesn’t sign him eventually. Al tries managing artists but when he manages a White young sensation “Yodel Kid” who manages to win a Grammy but dies on the day of awarding ceremony due to overdose, he later admits to Earn that managing is not his thing and that he’d rather be a rapper.
Episode 4 brings some family drama when Earn’s mother ditches her sister Jeannie to spend time with her father, and Jeannie is upset and thinks Earn was on the plan. So she tags along with Earn and Al to their studio. Earn’s father is thrown into a humiliating situation when a group of white people insults him for buying a hat from a white woman. He hilariously ends up taking out the frustration of the racial discrimination on a waiter when he refuses to pack the bread to take home.
Episode 5 is about how some shows exploit the black race when a mysterious producer “Mr. Chocolate” casts Van for one day to act in his sitcom. While Van is shooting, Mr. Chocolate sees her daughter and decides to have her as a cast too, without Van’s consent. Van looks everywhere for her daughter and ultimately finds her with Mr. Chocolate who says they can both act. Van storms off, even when Lottie says she wanted to act but Van later explains to her that these people wanted to exploit her race and to not fall victim to it.
Atlanta Season 4 Cast
- The show Atlanta was created by Donald Glover, who’s an executive producer as well as the lead character, Earnest “Earn” Marks. He dropped out of Princeton and is highly intelligent but makes impulsive decisions. He is not financially stable and struggles with trying to prove to his girlfriend as well as his family that he is well-off, all the while struggling with poverty. He also has a daughter, Lottie. Glover has also played other characters in the show, often they were eccentric and brought humor to the story.
- Brian Tyree Henry plays the rapper Alfred “Paper Boi” Miles, who’s also Earn’s cousin. He doesn’t earn much and often faces ridicule for his race. He is depressed about the newfound fame of his stage name “Paper Boi” and often has moral conflicts.
- Calling himself a first-generation Nigerian-American is Darius, played by Lakeith Stanfield. He’s Alfred’s, right-hand man. He has eccentric habits and quirks like he’s fond of conspiracy theories, he’s a gun enthusiast, and is a visionary. Ethnically, he identifies as Ijaw.
- The fourth of the main characters is Zazie Beetz as Vanessa “Van” Keefer. She is a former grade school teacher and a biracial (Afro-German) person. She taught science but is also fluent in German as she is originally from Helen, Georgia. She has an on-and-off relationship with Earn, but she’s often disappointed in him.
- They also have a daughter, Lottie who’s played by Austin Elle Fisher. In earlier seasons, she was played by multiple uncredited child actresses.
Atlanta Season 4 Storyline
Dabbed with humor, the show reveals problems faced by racial minorities in the world of white people. Using Satire, Surreal Comedy, Dark Comedy as well as Drama as genres, Atlanta Season 4 saw our main characters struggle in life through hilarious situations.
It highlights and uses humor to show serious issues like Existentialism, Surrealism, Racism, Bigotry, Discrimination on various fronts, the White Majority and their disdain for Black people, and the unfairness, ridicule, and humiliation faced by them. The show has its fan base for its various and creative narratives, the short stories going on in the episodes, and amazing direction, writing as well as acting.
Atlanta Season 4 Release Date
Announced even before Season 3 was aired, the creators talked of Season 4 far back in August 2019. Again before the release of Season 3 in March 2022, it was declared a month earlier in February 2022, that Season 4 would be the final season of the show.
Season 4 premiered finally on September 15, 2022. With 10 episodes in the final season, the first 2 episodes were released together, and subsequent episodes are to be released weekly.
Till now, 8 episodes have aired and the penultimate episode will be released on November 3, 2022, and the season finale on 10 November 2022.
Where To Watch Atlanta Season 4?
While it airs live on FX television, Atlanta Season 4 is exclusively available on Hulu.
Follow cinesays for more entertainment updates!