Grace and Frankie entails two older women who create an odd relationship after their husbands announce they are in love and want to marry. In supporting roles, Sam Waterston, Martin Sheen, Brooklyn Decker, Ethan Embry, June Diane Raphael, and Baron Vaughn appear. The seventh season of the show was divided into two parts, with the first four episodes premiering in August 2021 and the remaining 12 episodes premiering on Netflix on April 29th (yay).
However, it’s a sad occasion for viewers because the episodes signal the end of Grace and Frankie, a show that has grown in popularity over the years due to its genuine and true portrayal of elderly women characters.
Is it possible to turn this around? Will Grace and Frankie season 8 ever premiere, or is this truly the end?
Grace and Frankie Plot
Grace Hanson, a strong, former cosmetics tycoon, and Frankie Bergstein, a whimsical art teacher, are the series’ main characters, while their long-term spouses, Robert and Sol, are prominent divorce lawyers in San Diego, California. Grace and Frankie’s lives are flipped upside down when Robert and Sol reveal their love for one other and their intention to divorce their spouses.
The ladies, who have never liked one other, are now forced to live together and go through a series of bizarre experiences as they navigate family drama, medical concerns, business initiatives, and sexual turbulence on their way to becoming best friends. The show has been a favourite for years.
Grace and Frankie Season 8 Release Date
While Grace and Frankie season 8 holds slim chances, it is not the end- because we’ve got the second wing of season 7 all ready to watch. It was released on 29 April 2022. As for season 8, here’s what we know:
Here’s what we’ve discovered about the show’s possible eighth season, and you might want to brace yourself for this. On September 4, 2019, the programme was given the green light for its seventh iteration, which was also supposed to be its final round. Kauffman acknowledged in January 2020 that the show’s cancellation was not completely a creative choice.
Why was Grace and Frankie Season 8 Canceled?
Here’s what the cast and crew say.
“I think it would be hard to sell Grace and Frankie right now.” It’s a little scary that there may not be more shows with women at a certain age.,” Kauffman explained.
“Everybody is looking for, what are they calling it? Comedy forward, no sad-coms,” she said. “When we started Grace and Frankie, we were really trying to walk a line between drama and comedy. They don’t want that right now. Shows have a life span. We felt like we told stories we wanted to tell. I mean, if there were a circumstance where we wanted to end it before Netflix did, then we would’ve had a very large conversation with Jane and Lily,” She continued.
She also commented, “But that’s not how it happened. And it’s okay. There’s nothing I regret missing. It’s been everything from talking about dry vaginas to vibrators to how hard it is to get off a toilet. We had an episode with penis balloons. These are things I’m not sure I would’ve been able to do on a broadcast network.”
Fonda and Tomlin released a joint statement. Here’s how it goes: “We are both delighted and heartbroken that Grace & Frankie will be back for its seventh, though final, season. We’re so grateful that our show has been able to deal with issues that have really connected to our grand generation. And their kids, and amazingly, their kids as well! We’ll miss these two old gals, Grace and Frankie, as much as many of their fans will, but we’ll still be around. We’ve outlasted so many things—just hope we don’t outlast the planet.”
So, that’s the end of that.
Grace and Frankie Season 8 Cast
If, on the very, very off chance, the show continues, the cast will be as follows. This is the same as the cast of Grace and Frankie season 7.
- Jane Fonda as Grace Hanson, is a no-nonsense cosmetics mogul who likes to drink martinis and always has a clever comment to make. She is best friends with Frankie.
- Lily Tomlin as Frances “Frankie” Bergstein, is a quirky artist who often finds herself in hilarious situations that require Grace to rescue her. She is Grace’s best friend.
- Sam Waterston as Sol Bergstein, a sweet, gentle ex-divorce lawyer turned activist for gay rights. Sol was married to Frankie for 40 years but for half of his marriage he was in love with Robert, and eventually the two couldn’t hide it any longer. Sol is also Robert’s husband, Bud and Coyote’s adoptive father, Faith’s grandfather, Allison’s father-in-law and Frankie’s ex-husband.
- Martin Sheen as Robert Hanson, a successful divorce lawyer who threw himself into theatre following retirement. He was married to Grace for 40 years and the couple had two daughters, Brianna and Mallory. However, Robert soon began to fall for another man, Sol, and the feeling was mutual. Eventually the two couldn’t hide it any longer and told their respective wives. Robert is Sol’s husband, Grace’s ex-husband, Brianna and Mallory’s father, grandfather to Macklin, Madison and the twins and close friend to Peter.
- Brooklyn Decker as Mallory Hanson, second-born daughter to Grace and Robert.
- Ethan Embry as Coyote Bergstein, first-born adoptive child of Frankie and Sol. Coyote is a recovering addict and is a middle school music teacher.
- June Diane Raphael as Brianna Hanson, first-born child of Robert and Grace who now runs Say Grace, a successful cosmetics company that Grace gave her after retiring.
- Baron Vaughn as Nwabudike “Bud” Bergstein, second-born adoptive child of Frankie and Sol. Bud is a lawyer, and, similar to Brianna, now runs the law firm left to him by his father, Sol, after the latter retired.
Grace and Frankie Season 7 Recap
Grace’s new boyfriend, Nick, was arrested at the end of Season 6. Grace and Frankie had stashed some of Nick’s unlawfully obtained funds. Season 7 begins with Grace and Frankie returning to the beach house where the sitcom began, along with their ex-husbands, Robert and Sol, who are now destitute. Furthermore, the FBI is sniffing about looking for the rest of Nick’s ill-gotten gains; money that Grace and Frankie have taken.
The rest of the season should centre on the consequences from Nick’s incarceration, with Grace and Frankie attempting to launder the money so that they may spend it. Furthermore, there are rumours that Nick may be freed from prison, which strains his relationship with Frankie.
The show also follows the lives of Grace and Frankie’s children and grandkids, each of whom has their own issues and difficulties. These are largely Bud and Coyote, Grace and Frankie’s adopted children, as well as Brianna and Mallory, Grace’s marriage to Robert’s children.
That’s all we know about Grace and Frankie season 8 so far. Stay tuned to this space for more updates.