Haganai (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai) translates into “I Don’t Have Many Friends”, the title, Haganai Season 3 represents its central theme in a nutshell, as a story about socially awkward, inadequate, and anti-social teenagers who try to solve their problems by coming together to form a club.
The series has inspired many variations in manga and popular fanfiction, the first of which came in 2010, another version of the novel authored by Misaki Harukawa was published in Jump Magazine. An anime of the same name was released in Japan and ran from October 2011 to March 2013 featuring 13 episodes from Season 1, followed by an OVA, ending with 12 episodes in Season 2.
Haganai Season 3 Storyline
Kodaka Hasegawa enters St. Chronica’s Academy with high hopes for his social life but is almost immediately an outcast. He has always faced difficulty in making friends due to his blonde hair and piercing eyes which his peers always find scary, he is almost immediately excluded from various social groups for the same reason. He eventually runs into another one of his kind, Yozora Mikazuki, best characterized by her abrasive behavior which pushes people away, while she’s conversing with her imaginary “air friend” who she describes as friendly, sociable, a good listener, utterly opposite to herself.
A realization dawns upon them following which they form a club for the sake of their social lives, known as the neighbor’s club, the objective is to create more friends. Season 1 aired in Japan, covering the first three volumes and up to the second chapter of the fourth light novel. The season ended by revealing that Yozora’s childhood friend Sora was none other than Kodaka himself, however, she decided not to continue the past relationship.
Haganai Season 3 Cast
- Sena Kashiwazaki as Kanae Itou (12/12)
- Yozora Mikazuki as Marina Inoue (12/12)
- Kodaka Hasegawa as Ryouhei Kimura (12/12)
- Kobato Hasegawa as Kana Hanazawa (12/12)
- Rika Shiguma as Misato Fukuen (12/12)
- Maria Takayama as Yuka Iguchi (12/12)
- Yukimura Kusunoki as Nozomi Yamamoto (12/12)
- Pegasus Kashiwazaki as Ryoutarou Okiayu (12/12)
- Stella Redfield as Ryouka Yuzuki (12/12)
- Yukiko Nagata as Sayuri Yahagi (12/12)
Haganai Season 3 Plot
Yozora Mikazuki and Kodaka Hasegawa start a club, with Yozora as the acting President. Their objective is to ignite their currently non-existent social lives by gaining club members who they can eventually become friends with. Slowly but surely the club is swarmed with new members. Many say Hasegawa being the only male lead among other feminine members makes it a harem anime and it is categorized as such, however, the anime itself doesn’t qualify for the same as relationships between club members are complex and not so easily defined.
Eventually, all the girls develop some sort of attraction toward Hasegawa but in an indirect way. Maria begins thinking of him as an elder brother while Rika gets physically attracted to him. His own sister, Kobato Hasegawa, who is very possessive and clingy to him becomes a club member, getting into fights with Maria over him.
Haganai Season 3 Release Date
The possibility of Haganai Season 3 currently remains just that, a possibility which may happen or may not, the light novel’s last few chapters can very well be converted into an anime or may take on the form of an OVA, unfortunately for fans who want the anime to return, there is no official notification for the same yet. But it’s no reason to lose hope, it’s highly likely that some company banks on the opportunity to carry forth the adaptation.
Haganai Season 3 Previous Season Recap
Haganai Season 2 picks up where the former season left off, it shows the intricacies of developing and existing relationships between the club members, overall, the anime is a great watch for anyone who’s ever felt the pangs of loneliness even when surrounded by people, and coupled with a thoughtful plot, can make you realize things about relating to others which you never noticed before. It is also rife with comedy and you’re sure to have a good laugh even if you end up not liking the main plot.
Haganai Season 3 Famous Dialogues
“You don’t need to make a hundred friends. Just make real friends that you care about a hundred times as much. Even if you only have one, so long as they’re a friend you really care about.” -Yozora Mikazuki
“It makes you sad when someone suddenly just up and disappears without a word. If you’re just going to end up hurt in the end, you’re better off not forming any bonds at all.” -Yozora Mikazuki
“Judging things based on looks alone… That’s just cruel.” -Kodaka Hasegawa
“You don’t like being lonely, but you’re afraid of people expressing their affection towards you. You pretend not to notice. You run away. You brush it off. You cover-up. You reject. You even lie to yourself, convincing yourself that no one has any feelings for you.” -Rika Shiguma.
Haganai Season 3 Important Characters
- Kodaka Hasegawa has more substance to him than appearances suggest, he is a polite individual. His infamous features, blonde hair, and fierce face have been inherited from his mother and father respectively.
- Yozora Mikazuki is the Club President with an aggressive and anti-social personality, she dislikes normal and tends to distance herself from people, somewhat hypocritically as on the other hand, she wants to socialize more and gain friends.
- Sena Kashiwazaki is a character who has it all, to her own demise, blessed with beauty and luck, her outstanding academic and athletic performance make her a hit with the boys or “doormats” and the object of envy for all girls. While all she really wants is a few friends to hang out with.
- Yukimura Kusunoki is a freshman who wants to become more manly and less effeminate by serving as Kodaka’s underling, she thinks she’s a boy despite her assigned gender at birth leading to some less than comfortable situations with her peers.
- Rika Shiguma has a scientific mind with an anti-social flair and a preference for solitude, she used to be an extreme shut-in before joining the club.
- Maria Takayama is a young prodigy who handles the responsibility of Club Moderator.
Haganai Season 3 Genre
Comedy, Harem, Slice of Life
Where To Watch Haganai Season 3?
You can watch Haganai on Netflix, Funimation, and Crunchyroll
Must Read Hustle Ending Explained Must Read Here and Emergency Filming Locations Must Know
Do follow Cinesays for more interesting updates.