Do you want to know Is Arrested Development is Based on True Story, continue reading. The show is the creation of Mitchell Hurwitz who also co-created The Ellen Show. It ran from November 2003 to February 2006 for a total of three seasons. Later, it was revived by Netflix for 2 seasons from May 2013 to March 2019. The show has a total of 84 episodes that follow the life of the Bluth family set in Newport Beach, California.
The series went on to achieve a number of accolades. It won six Emmy awards, and a Golden Globe and had been nominated for even more Emmys throughout its running. It also secured the position of Outstanding Comedy in 2004 at the Television Critics Association Awards. Arrested Development was the Best Television Series at the Satellite Awards in 2004.
Overview of Arrested Development
The show follows the story of the Bluths who lose their business after getting their assets frozen and George senior gets locked up in prison under the accusation of white-collar crime. The once rich family now has the responsibility of building the family business from the basics to the position it used to hold before. The eldest son, Michael gets handed the duty of reviving the reputation of the company and maintaining the family unit. Throughout the series, Michael along with his son, George Michael attempt to start a new life together away from the family but somehow, some mysterious circumstances always prevent them from doing so and keep the family united.
Arrested Development Based On True Story
While the show is not explicitly based on a true story, it has some elements that were inspired by real life. The Bluth family’s religious identity at first resembled the Hurwitz’s wife’s family. But later the identity became more Jewish than ambiguous.
Hurwitz mentioned that the Netflix revival of the series was inspired by Donald Trump. In his statement, he thanked the Trump family for inspiring the characters of the show.
Arrested Development Cast
- Michael Bluth – Jason Bateman
- Lindsay Bluth – Portia de Rossi
- George Michael – Michael Cera
- Gob Bluth – Will Arnett
- Lucille Bluth – Jessica Walter
- Ron Howard – Narrator
- George Bluth – Jeffrey Tambor
Arrested Development Fun Facts
- The show was canceled after the first three seasons. In spite of the multitude of awards, it received very low ratings consistently forcing Fox to cancel it. But it gained a cult following upon its cancellation and later, got revived by Netflix.
- Almost all the episodes start with the narrator mentioning Michael’s name till season 4 when the individual characters had their own separate episodes.
- The fake websites shown throughout the show were actually created by Fox for the fans. But the domains have expired since then and the ones that haven’t directed the user to Fox’s website.
- The cast members received pilot scripts with a warning cover letter that stood against any ‘diva-like’ behavior and mentioned how the episode wouldn’t have a fancy trailer.
Where To Watch Arrested Development?
Catch up with the 5 seasons of Arrested Development on Hulu.
Do Follow CineSays For All The Latest Updates.